Saturday, September 4, 2010

Now we're rolling

Whiling away the time while wondering why all the women look like Ray Romano and all the men look like Janeane Garofolo ...

Took the bike out for a long trek today. It’s an Aero 1900, or something like that, and it used to be a nice bicycle. Today, its handlebars are crooked, it makes quite a bit of noise, the chain slips occasionally and the back brake isn’t attached. It’s a surprisingly good ride though. I took it down to the city center and enjoyed the sensation of pedaling around all these historic squares. When that got old, and it really didn’t, I rattled down the Via Po to the river, over the bridge and onto the right bank. Fresh territory!

A handful of fishermen were spending their Saturday by the river’s banks. Like this guy, most had 40-foot poles. What would Michael Scott say?

The Po. I saw plenty of people with kayaks. They all seemed to be originating from the same marina on the right bank, and if they can be rented, I will do so. I just hope it’s not one of those infernal "fitness clubs."

I decided to get a workout and head up into the hills. It’s like Bel Air up here, but with old money. I had no idea where I was headed, but a sign said I was going in the general direction of Villa Gualino. Maybe I’ll map it out later. After a mile’s climb or so, I turned off into what looked like an alleyway that got steeper and steeper. I’ve got a good engine, but eventually I had to get off and walk. So this is where the other half lives. This villa hugs a gurgling creek.

Hibiscus in bloom.

I decided to film my ride back down the hill, going about 30 mph on a rust-bucket of a bike with no back brake and chattering front one, steering with one hand and holding my Kodak Zi6 with the other. Maybe not the best idea, but hey, I’m experienced! It was a bummer to later discover the video looked like it was covered with gauze. I couldn’t figure it out and feared the worst. Did I get soap on the lens or something? No, it had slipped into close-up mode earlier, probably while rubbing against something in my bag. Guess I’ll have to do it again! If you haven’t been able to tell yet, this is a beautiful city. When travel writer Jan Morris (once man, now woman) ticks off Vancouver, Rio de Janeiro and Hong Kong as the world’s most striking natural urban environments, that tells me only that she hasn’t been to Turin. From the foot of the Collina hills, here is a look back at the city Le Corbusier called the most astonishing he had ever seen.

Tonight, your host will be in attendance as Torino FC takes on Crotone at Olympic Stadium. It’s easy to forget that before Canada started killing Belarussian lugers, Turin was home to the Winter Olympics (2006). I love the soccer club’s mascot. He takes an aggressive stance, but his facial expression makes him look almost like he’s meditating. Yeah, meditating about kicking your ass! Anybody want any gear?



Now we're rolling from Sluggh McGee on Vimeo.

[Just kidding, Canada.]

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love that video. Best seven seconds ever filmed. I dig your outfit today! Have fun at the game ... Ummm, yeah, I'll take some gear! ;)

    ReplyDelete